With great expectation we announce what the gvSIG Association has communicated: a final version of gvSIG 2.0; project that had been working in a somewhat parallel to the 1x developments and that until now had left us quite satisfied in the 1.12.
Among the novelties, this version has a new development architecture, in which the way in which gvSIG manages data sources has been redesigned with the aim of improving both reliability and modularity, thus benefiting both users and developers . In addition to allowing greater ease of maintenance and evolution of technology. It has been, therefore, a bet of future with the aim of not limiting the technological evolution and to settle the bases for a fast evolution.
This new version of gvSIG Desktop also brings a series of new features:
- New installer that supports typical and custom installation; So that it is possible to control what we hope to install and obviate; Basic by the way for advanced users.
- Add-ons manager that allows you to install new extensions and customize our gvSIG from the application itself.
- Some changes in the interface of data management tools such as:
· Import / export of files.
· Operations with tables.
· New layer.
- Improvements in layer load performance.
- WMTS (Web Map Tiled Service) support.
- Raster data cache.
- Unified geoprocessing interface.
- Importer of symbols, facilitating the generation of symbol libraries.
- Exporter of symbols, that allows to easily share libraries of complete symbols with other users.
We must bear in mind that this is not gvSIG 1.12 improved; As I mentioned before, it is a medium-term project that was developing a version that we know would replace the core of the 1x versions. So despite being the latest version of gvSIG, we really have a new gvSIG, so we find that it does not have some of the features of gvSIG 1.12. These functionalities will be incorporated in successive and continuous updates as they migrate to the new architecture. The main functionalities not available are:
- Legends by proportional symbols, graduated, density of points, quantities by category and by expressions
- Extensions: Network Analysis and 3D.
In the same way there are several projects based on this new architecture that will allow new functionalities and improvements to appear directly over gvSIG 2.0 in the coming months.
We must also remember that the stability level of this new version is not as high as one would have wished -at this time-, considering it a final so that the community can begin to use it officially and, mainly, to address the new developments on it.
For all this we encourage you to test it and report the errors that you find so that we can correct them in the successive updates. Known errors of this version can be consulted in the links mentioned above.
In this version, several mirrors have also been enabled for downloading add-ons from gvSIG. These mirrors will be available in a few days.
The people behind this project expect us to like the new features of this new version and to help improve it.
For our part, we congratulate the effort of this initiative; that after venturing into a new and contrary to the traditional model, overcoming potholes has maintained an interesting discipline in the management of a whole community that is the one who has given continuity to the initial idea. We know how complex the Open Source model is, but in my particular case, it is pleasant to arrive in a municipality of the Americas, in a coordinate that the whole world ignores, and after the cordial greeting of the protocol, a head of cadastre will be found. dares to say:
Here we use gvSIG. I implemented it myself.