ArchiCAD is a CAD platform that has a good time in the market, although initially it was a version for mac, it was up to 1987 that the 3.1 version was known.
If you recall, ArchiCAD 3.1 was already competing against AutoCAD 2.6 in 1987, just like DataCAD and DrawBase did, but it is its later years that have catapulted it to be very popular. Let's see some of its advantages:
Free for students and teachers
This strategy is one of the most aggressive that this system has launched, since to download it only requires registration, then it sends you a provisional password that you must confirm every month. After a year you must be renewing the password, but as long as you consider yourself an instructor or student you can use it and get used to depending on it, if you don't mind that the generated projects have the Graphisoft logo in one corner.
Available for Mac and PC
In this field, ArchiCAD has remained very well accepted by Mac users, after AutoCAD he left Mac in 1993 and Microstation in 1995. ArchiCAD allows working with DWG, DXF, IFC and Sketchup files and components can be developed under Geometric Description Language (GDL)
Adapted to standard trends
From the beginning ArchiCAD had a bit of an advantage, as it is an object-oriented tool, not vectors. It is clear that it was for the Architecture and Construction market, unlike AutoCAD which was a general drawing tool. This gave him a certain level of advantage, when AutoDesk acquired Architectural Desktop ArchiCAD was already very mature. With the new trends ArciCAD has adapted to the concept BIM (Building Information Modeling), under the Virtual Building patent to stay in the international trends of AEC software. The importance of this concept is that the platforms that develop specialized applications are easily adaptable to the field of architecture and engineering, so the issue of printing, generation of cuts, views and dimensioning is not a complexity.
Interoperable with multiple platforms
- CYPE, ArchiCAD has connection with these specialized applications for the design of civil engineering in buildings (structures and installations), so that it can be accessed between both platforms through the IFC formats.
- Archimedes, This is an application oriented to the quantification of works and the integration of costs; ArchiCAD allows bidirectional connection with Archimedes.
- Google Earth, With ArchiCAD you can interact with Google Earth Warehouse, not only to upload the models and visualize them as 3D buildings but also to import data from Google Earth.
- SketchupThis is the platform that Google acquired, and that is used for 3D modeling has the advantage of being extremely easy for initial sketching; in a few minutes you can work on a complex idea with good taste. By means of an ArchiCAD plugin for Sketcup, you can get a work done in Sketchup and this is recognized under the smart building model.
- MaxonForm and AtlantisR, ArchiCAD's integration with these technologies allows you to model, edit and render complex or non-traditional objects for traditional architectural designs; being “one click away” gives you better results.
- IDER Y CALENER VYP, Through the format cte, you can make connection of ArchiCAD, assigning materials and properties to the building elements and thus gain advantage of these applications specialized in energy optimization.
Here you can download ArchiCAD
ArchiCAD will have an exhibition at the international architecture fair to be held at the Polytechnic School in February.