In response to a request made by Anahí from Bolivia I have created a file that contains the UTM areas of South America, which can be very useful for educational purposes, although I recommend reading the post «understanding the UTM coordinates«.
By opening the file using Google Earth, the implication of the UtM zones can be easily explained in a class.
To see the UTM zones, click on «Tools / options / 3D view» then in the field «show lat / long», choose «Universal Traverso de Mercator»
To show the grid, it becomes «see / grid» or CTRL + L
So we can see that the southern cone countries are in these UTM zones:
- Peru: 17,18,19
- Bolivia: 19,20,21
- Argentina: 18,19.20,21,22
- Paraguay: 20,21
- Uruguay: 21,22
- Brazil: from 18 to 25
- The case of Ecuador remains in the 17 and 18 zones, but with segments in the northern and southern hemispheres.
- Colombia is between the zones 17, 18 and 19 and also has in the two hemispheres
- Venezuela is only in the Northern Hemisphere, between the 18, 19, 20 and 21 zones
- and Guyanas and Suriname are between the 20, 21 and 22 zones
This last image shows Bolivia, which is between the 19,20 and 21 zones; the point marked in red is a clear example of a coordinate that is in the 19 zone, in Lake Poopó and that has the same length and latitude in zone 20 in the plain of the Great Chaco.
Here you can download the kmz file, which you can open with Google Earth:
If you are interested in having all the zones, in the following link you can acquire a file that contains all the UTM zones. Includes the areas:
you can acquire it with credit card or Paypal