ArcGIS Plugin for AutoCAD
ESRI has launched a tool to visualize ArcGIS data from AutoCAD, which hangs as a new tab on the Ribbon and does not need to have an ArcGIS license or the installed program.
It works with AutoCAD 2010 versions to AutoCAD 2012, they have not said anything about AutoCAD 2013. The 2009 Build 200 Service Pack is required for 1 or earlier versions.
Do not get too excited, because it does not read standard layers like WMS, WFS, much less an MXD or an ESRI Geodatabase. What you read is data served via ArcGIS Server, either in a local network service, the Internet and also online ArcGIS layers. For those of us who have been observing the distance between CAD and GIS, we recognize that it is an important step and an expected dream, since AutoCAD interact with thematic layers from ArcGIS without having to import or transform.
The functions are basic, load maps, separate layers, turn off, turn on, put transparent, consult tabular data. If the service is configured, you can edit tabular and vector data from an enterprise geodatabase, but that has to be defined in the GIS Server. It recognizes projection, both of a .prj file and of the one that can be defined in AutoCAD. You can also assign attributes to CAD data and with Lisp you can interact more.
In particular, despite being basic, it seems like a good attempt, because before, unless you used AutoCAD Map or Civil3D, you had to convert the vector data to dwg format and lose the tabular ones.
And for being free, not bad.
What will Global Mapper 14 bring?
In mid-September the 14 version of Global Mapper will be launched, just one year after the release of the 13 version of We talk at the time.
Sure there will be a more specific article, but in what we have leaked the Beta version that is available for download, this is the novelty:
- In Global Mapper 13 they had included the ability to read an ESRI Geodatabase. Now it is almost natively edited, both ESRI ArcSDE, and the already conventional ESRI and Personal Geodatabases files. The same can be done with MySQL, Oracle Spatial, and PostGIS databases.
- At the level of command functionality, a good amount of adaptations have been made so that with the little exploded right mouse button a context panel with access to common routines or related to what is being done is deployed.
- In the generation of digital terrain models, which has been most practical, it has improved the management of menus for the creation of Contour lines, Combination of surfaces, generation of watersheds and other tools.
- The ability to calculate the volume between two terrain surfaces and also edge lines to delimit a surface has also been added.
- Support for Web Feature Services (WFS) at the client level.
- It can be exported to CADRG / CIB, ASRP / ADRG, and Garmin JNX files
- Searches can be done separately by layer
- It is now possible to perform basic operations that GIS programs do not usually have, such as free rotation, without having to define parameters but on the fly as done in a CAD. Also cut multiple polygons from a line, type Trim, it does not matter that they are not cut in the same plane.
- Copy - paste can be done as in Manifold, select what you want, look for the target layer, make paste and ready.
- We will have to see what this is, but talk about a calculation of the cost of selling data, based on a defined export area and resolution.
- And of course, it is expected that many new formats will come, in which Global Mapper is almost insuperable, new projections and datums.
From here you can download the beta, which is installed as a parallel version without affecting a previous one that we have installed.