1. Basic settings.
To capture data, the computer must have the software installed Mobile Mapping, Which comes with the disks when purchasing the equipment and is installed via Active Sync. (Eye, do not confuse it with Mobile Mapper Office)
To execute it, it is done Home> Mobile Mapping. The navigation view appears, when loading it for the first time you must configure some parameters from the option Menu On the lower right side.
- Registry: Here you must establish if we want it to automatically record the position every so often. For example, every 30 seconds.
- We can also define it to take it automatically every certain amount of meters of displacement. This is ideal for routes.
- It could also be said that it is taken manually, when I select it. And for this, it must be indicated above, how long to average positions, it means that if I indicate 45 seconds, the equipment will collect data during that time and it will capture the averaged value.
- Units. Here it is established if we will work in meters, kilometers, miles, feet etc. same for area.
- There are other parameters, for now we will define only those.
2. Create new map
For this, it is done Menu> new ... It is necessary to understand how the Mobile Mapper operates, to know where the data is stored.
- The file .map. This is a kind of container, just like ArcView's .apr, ArcGIS .mxd. Contains no data, only loaded layer settings. You must specify the name and where it will be stored.
- The .shp file. This equipment allows creating layers of the shape file type, where the captured information is stored. When created, the required .dbf and .shx files are also created.
This is done Menu> layers, and there you can select an existing layer, or a new one. These layers can be of the line, point or polygon type, 2D or 3D. Then the attributes can be of type text, numeric, yes / no, date, image or audio captured with the same equipment.
Thus you can create layers such as: Buildings, street axes, control points, tree, etc.
Each layer can have attributes stored in the .dbf, such as: owner, photo, house number, audio declaration, etc.
Also display attributes such as symbol, color, thickness, fill.
Each layer can have display scale. For example, if I set the municipal boundary layer to 1: 10,000, I won't see it unless it's scaled above it and it won't get in the way when I'm working with parcels at 1: 400 scales.
You can also load an existing layer, such as a property or road map. It may even be a georeferenced image.
- The .grw and .crg files. These are created as we take points, and they are necessary so that in due course we can do post-processing based on data obtained with other static equipment. The data without post-processing will walk in a radius of 3 to 5 meters -Like any browser-, with post-processing sub-metric precision is reached.
Warning: Mobile Mapper 6 (MM6) cannot be base (so far). They can be base the old Mobile Mapper Pro, I think the CX and Magellan Promark 3 (This costs around US $ 2,500 while MM6 walks down the $ 1,500, almost what was worth the Pro or CX)
It means that for a mass process, there could be a Promark3 and 5 MM6, about US $ 10,000. Perhaps an incomparable solution if we compare prices with brands such as Trimble.
It will also be necessary to set the projection and coordinate system the first time a layer is loaded.
3. Capture data.
Once the above is done, the GPS starts and we will have a window similar to the one shown in the image.
Above is the number of satellites visible, down the coordinate and in the viewfinder location.
To capture data, it is selected from the bottom menu, on the left side, where it says Log. If we have it in Spanish it will say Register. It immediately lets us choose in which layer we will save the point to capture, and if we have it configured manually, as I explained in step 1, Then a progress bar will do the process for the set seconds until the point is captured.
Then the panel opens to enter attributes. If you have another configuration, for example, every 10 meters, we can leave the equipment on the dashboard of the car and drive, it will make a capture every time it detects a displacement of 10 meters.
In the next post we will see how to download data and Postprocessing them.