This weekend I was forced to talk about ways to monetize content on the Internet, it was a group of young entrepreneurs, those who have their profile of Hi5! To the crown of pints; So I want to dedicate this post to talk about the earnings The income that the previous web generated when we were a month to adjust the first year.
The blog started in June of 2007, although it was until November that our friend of Cartesia added the option of Analytics statistics, so today I want to show the six months that these statistics mean, compared to tangible income.
1. Revenue from AdSense
|Month||SIGN IN||Growth in income||% Of total income||Visits||Growth visits|
|June to October||$ 9.38||3%||??|
|November 2007||$ 10.73||14%||24%||3,121|
|December 2007||$ 30.84||287%||50%||5,654||81%|
|January 2007||$ 39.05||26%||42%||7,500||33%|
|February 2007||$ 34.77||89 % OFF||39%||9,992||32%|
|March 2007||$ 65.78||89%||48%||13,406||34%|
|April 2007||$ 103.69||58%||57%||18,893||41%|
Before having this blog, I led some educational initiatives, including a page that had been around for almost three years, also a couple of my own blogs, and I wrote freelance for others. When I started this blog, someone did a fairly formal market study with a product cycle that marked when to take significant steps, among them it was recommended that I abandon other seedy initiatives that did not exceed 60 daily visits and dedicate completely to just one ; This was one of the reasons why only one of them survived and why I had to abandon the freelance habit, although leaving one of them was a difficult decision due to its potential.
The table represents AdSense income, only from content, although there have been referral and search gains I have left them out because they are not so significant and they take away the sense of comparison. The column that shows the% of the total is relative to the total income, including that of the other page and the measly pennies of the abandoned initiatives.
2. How the revenues grew
- From July to October, when the blog began its pininos, income through this route barely reached 3% of the total in those 5 months. If it weren't for the fact that someone made me a 3-year forecast, with definition of times and growth expectations, $ 9.38 would have been enough to abandon the venture to find knack for writing (because although you can write for pleasure, it is not sustainable time if you want to do it in a disciplined way).
- From November, When I had access to statistics, keywords and countries from which users came I could reach $ 10.73, which meant 24% with respect to the total of that month.
From then on I was able to do ad format testing exercises and write as the script ordered. It was thus that in December I reached $ 30.84 and 50% of the total income from AdSense
- January Improved a bit, I came to 39% with $ 39.05
- February Went down by having only 28 days and I kept in $ 34.77
- March It improved and revenue doubled due to changes in AdSense policies (effective area of clicked, which increased effectiveness), this started to take effect after my visitors from Europe grew.
- In April, the script said that after exceeding 250 posts I had to launch my first advertising campaign, which I have done through AdWords and Zync. I have had a better growth in visits (41%), I assume that I will reach 21,000 visitors, the income could be higher but my advertising campaigns in AdWords have been oriented to the countries of Latin America where clicks are at $ 0.05 contrary to those of Europe that are usually above $ 0.10. In any case, it reached $ 103.69 (as of April 27) and now represents 57% of the total.
My main strategy is to write in a disciplined way (at least 40 monthly posts in this initial stage), which means that the visitors will come from the Google search engines and I will be able to easily make comparison between visits and income. Also, if you write consistently, you will be linked by others whose credibility will bring you visits, although this includes a greater demand for time for comments that must be moderated and answered almost immediately.
In total I collected in this period $ 294.24 from AdSense, if we add the references and searches it will go for $ 310.00. Added to the income from the other website, they tend to compensate for the couple of hours that must be dedicated at night to this vice and especially the emotion produced by knowing that it is growing. Although in a later post I intend to talk about the sustainability of this and the relationship with the hours dedicated to this work and related costs.
Some of my posts are sponsored, they will have noticed and hopefully know to tolerate that it is something necessary and in some cases experimental.
These revenues have reached $ 79.00 is not much for the risk of saturating readers of issues sometimes coined by force, but it is part of the exercise.
These go for $ 72.00, very low compared to my other website but add up and are not so annoying. In their time they were in the right bar, entremetidos in the blogroll.
Hmm ... there are other reasons that cause satisfaction and maturity in relationships, especially from attending conferences or exposure at seminars. If we give it a price, the revenue from AdSense becomes miniscule.
In summary, this is the total:
|AdSense revenue||$ 310.00|
|Links Income||$ 72.00|
|Sponsored conferences||$ 6,175.00|
The best pay
The numbers are usually cold, $ 6,636 in entries, 263 posts, 574 comments, 58,566 total visits ...
But give a price to almost a year of posting, many fans of geofumados and new friends found in the art of blogging ... priceless.
Anyway, after almost a year, I thank you for your tolerance of my sincere combination of taste for writing with the experiment of drawing money from the 2.o web model.
Over time, I have returned to this writing, and I have made comparisons of trends that have changed many things; However I have decided to leave the post as a historical reflection of what happens the first year in this art of systematizing content online.